
So the day of surgery came very quickly on February 20, 2009. I got up like any other day. We took a "before" picture before we headed out the door to be at the hospital at 9am. I wasn't nervous at all. My mom, brother and husband were there with me until I had to go into pre-op. Once the IV went in, it suddenly became very real. I kept thinking...I sure hope this works out. Once the anaesthesiologist did his voodoo, it was just a few seconds before I woke up in tons of pain. I remember shouting to the nurses for more "dope". Eventually I was rolled back to my room about 2 hours after I left and was greeted by the same people who I left there. The nurse gave me a self induced pain medication button but it was pretty weak and I had to push it all the time. I was in and out of consciousness but as the night went on my best friend and dad came to visit. At some point the nurses brought me food and I thought it was a joke since the idea of food made me sick. I am not quit sure how long I was out of surgery before the physical therapist came in to get me out of bed. I was eager to walk since I knew that it would speed up recovery. Unfortunately I was only able to get to the restroom due to my dizziness. I convinced her to let me try again and made it all the way to the door before I had to turn around. Thank goodness I was too drugged up to be that disappointed. At 8pm my visitors were herded off and I was left alone in my misery. The best part of the night was that I had my own room. I was very anxious about sharing a space with a stranger. Everything else about the night sucked. Every machine in my room kept beeping every couple of hours which would remind me that I was in pain so I would push my pain button and call for the nurse to turn off the beeping. Eventually I was woken up at 5am to take a walk around the nurses station. Although I had to walk super slow, I did it and I felt better. At 8am my yucky catheter was removed and I was able to walk myself and that damn IV pole around the station again. My mom and husband were there exactly at 11am when visiting hours began. My doctor came in shortly after and asked if I wanted to go home. I nearly ripped my IV out with excitement as I shouted "heck yes!" It was only about half and hour later that I was wheeled out of the hospital. I was really feeling hopeful! Now I was gonna be home with no beeping gadgets and no stinky hospital food to make me nauseous.
No comments:
Post a Comment