Friday, February 27, 2009

Fresh Perspective

I talked to the doctor yesterday and he was pretty sure that I didn't have that "super" infection he originally thought I had. That means we were back to square one with he didn't know what was wrong with me. I was very bummed out yesterday thinking I would possibly have to go back into the hospital. He told me that it could be the protein powder I was taking that was making me sick. He said to stop and start eating high soluble foods that were high in protein and low in fat and sugar. I was a little taken aback by that since I was supposed to be on a liquid diet for one month post-op. the doctor also told me to take Imodium and we would see where I was in a couple of days. Naturally I called my husband and mom and freaked them out too.
I did stop the protein powder but didn't jump back into foods. I just had some light soup with just broth and super tiny noodles. It was drinking water and taking my pills. I did well until right before bed when the gurgling started again and that lead to the ever so exciting diarrhea. I was only able to sleep for 2 hours before round two came. Fortunately after that I was able to sleep through the rest of the night until the doctor called and woke me up about 7:30am. He still was unsure what was wrong but wanted to do a stool sample when I saw my regular doctor at 9:30am.
I saw my general doctor and he said since I didn't have fever, sever abdominal cramping and blood in my poo that I was just experiencing normal post G.I. surgery symptoms and that I would fine soon. He said the antibiotic I was taking could cause diarrhea and cramping. He did follow it up by "your surgeon is the one you should talk to".
I felt better. I guess I was just expecting to be regular Melissa the day after surgery. Apparently that is unrealistic. My doctor told me that everyday should get better and that I need to give my body time to adjust to all the changes it has been put through.

No comments:

Post a Comment