Sunday, July 26, 2009

Camp Oakes Rocks!

This last week was awesome. I could not believe how easy everything was. I hiked all over camp several times a day and was never out of breath. I even took a mile hike nearly straight up hill at 4:45 am and didn't even raise my heart-rate. I was able to ride the horses for the first time in a really long time. I was anxious about getting on/off the horses. The thing is that the last time I rode the horses it took 3 stable people to help me up. This time, I was able to get on/off on my own the very first time I tried. I also enjoyed an exciting game of paintball fighting. This is the first year it has been offered and I was stoked to give it a try. I played 2 rounds and the first round I was stuck in my 'fat' mode. I told my team that I would guard the base because I couldn't run fast. The second round I realized that being in the wings sucked and I was no longer handicapped as it were. I told them that although I couldn't run fast, I had high endurance. As it turned out, I was good at this activity and I even managed to shoot someone without getting shot. I told John that we have to set this activity up with our friends and go play on a local course. I don't have any pictures of this activity because I was so into the game I didn't think to have anyone take pictures. I do, however, have a picture of me shooting the rifles which is my favorite activity.

I was also really excited about doing the high ropes course and the climbing wall. I went to the ropes course and tried to climb a cargo net but I couldn't make it to the top because my hands were going numb. I them hiked over to the climbing wall, strapped in and started to climb. I quickly realized that my upper body strength is weak. I called John nearly in tears and told him about my failure. He pointed out that I have not targeted my upper body in my workouts and that I should be proud that I even tried. It took my a while to accept this. I really wanted to be successful. I have decided to target my upper body at the gym and give the climbing wall another shot as soon as I am strong enough. Here are some pictures of my best efforts...


I have gotten over my original disappointment but I am more motivated then ever to reach my goals.



1 comment: