Friday, March 27, 2009
Gotta Get Motivated
Part of the deal to this surgery is that I am supposed to go to the gym at least 3 days a week. Every week I get myself pumped up about following through and nearly every week I fail to go. This week was no different. I went Monday as planned and then I decided to go on Thursday and Friday. Sure enough, when Thursday came, I spent the whole day finding things to do to keep me away from the gym. The worst part was that I was dressed for the gym all day. Today, I flaked too. I don't know what my problem is. I know the importance of going to the gym, I know I will see results faster, I even have plenty of time to go...I just hate going. John is so supportive and my mom makes me accountable but I am lacking in motivation. The reality is I need to figure it out, make going to the gym a part of my life style. The problem is...just getting started. I commit to myself and all of my friends and family that support me that I will go to the gym 3 times next week...no excuses!!! Maybe having this person struggle be a matter of public knowledge, I will be more motivated. I would hate to have to say I didn't keep my promise...again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Maybe this will help...I don't like running, but I tell myself that I am doing it for Max. i am getting in shape so that I can run with him. I know that you would do anything for him too! Sometimes when I am feeling sluggish, i remind myself that Max would rather be watching Teletubbies or playing with cards, but he does 34 hours a week of therapy (mostly without complaint:). Sometimes that gets me moving. I only ran once instead of twice this week. We love you Melissa and know that you will figure out how to make it work for you!
ReplyDeletexoxo kim
I think this is VERY common. I suffer from the same problem. I've been paying my gym membership for over three years and haven't been at all. I wish we lived closer to force each other to go. I'll make you a commitment that I will go three days a week. You do the same. Starting next week.
ReplyDeleteGetting the motivation to go is WAY hard so I completely understand... what works for me is attending classes, my favorites are dance classes, kick boxing, and strength training. You can even stand in the back if the thought of that embarrasses you. BUT it makes it easy because then you have a scheduled, structured time to attend the gym rather than "I'll go when I get home" or "I'll go after I do such and such"... I'm usually like "crap I gotta go my class starts in 10 minutes!" Anyway, hope this helps :)
ReplyDelete